Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 51: October 17th, 2009

Quote of the Day:


“It is idle to dread what you cannot avoid.”

-Publius Syrus



The big camping trip… who would have thought when we planned it that it would turn out like it did??? We ended up leaving the house around 8 this morning, and had to stop off at WalMart for some lantern batteries because we were out, and ended up arriving at the lake around 9 or so. Not too bad, right? Well, yeah, except for the fact that I completely underestimated the amount of rain we have had in the last few weeks. And let me tell you, that was a BIG underestimation, because I did the total female thing and got the truck stuck in the mud. Ron’s going to hate this part, too….. some old guy in a Ford that lives out here pulled me out. He just happened to be on his way home from somewhere and I was able to flag him down because I was only like 50 feet from the road. DUH, CARMEN! ANOTHER BLOND MOMENT!



After we got pulled out of the mud and were able to find a better road back down to the lake things went much smoother, and we were able to really enjoy the day. It didn’t take too long to set up camp because I didn’t bring a whole lot since we were only staying the one night. We got to go for a really nice stroll and and hang out together and just relax, which was a really nice change of pace. It’s funny, but the kids actually get along out here. So when can I move here???



We’ve seen lots of interesting things, and noticed that it is super green here compared to normal. Our first campsite we camped in at this lake is nearly 90% grown over now with weeds, grass, and small trees. I almost wouldn’t recognize it. And since there’s still a clear path out to the island-that-is-no-longer-an-island because of all the drought we’ve had the boys and I were able to walk out onto the island and take a look around. Not much there, but we had fun skipping rocks and taking tons of pictures. I can’t believe how many flowers there are growing right now, you’d actually think it was spring! I took a lot of pictures of them, but I don’t know how many of them will actually make it onto here. I have taken somewhere over 200 pictures today so far… enough that I had to plug in my battery to charge. NOT FUN!!!! So I’m going to try and put as many on as I can tomorrow, but I’m roaming so we’ll see. It all depends on this crazy computer.  Nothing like trying to blog while you’re out camping, with a less-than-dependable internet connection!



Tonight is S’Mores night, so Cody’s already been asking me several times when I can start the fire. We’re doing hot dogs too, so it should be a lot of fun for them. Just waiting for sundown…. Was considering telling ghost stories around the campfire, but we’ll see how it plays out. I’ve never been camping without my other half before, so maybe all I’ll manage to do is scare myself and make the kids laugh. Oh, and Ron… completely off-topic, but do you know what Cody said out of the blue this morning on the way here? He said, “You know what sounds really good right now? Eric’s gumbo!” Think maybe you can talk him into coming and visiting you when he gets back? ‘Cause I’ve got to admit… that gumbo really is good! LOL So I propose that the two of you have a gumbo cookoff… totally selfless of me, of course. I’m thinking only of you guys, not my tummy. I swear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment