Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day 91: November 26th, 2009

Quote of the Day:
"I thank God for the way he made you, distinct, special and unique. You were not made from a common mold." - Erwin W. Lutzer

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends and family! Today has been a pretty good day. I got up and started making banana bread early this morning... I woke up with a  case of the jump-ups! I just couldn't bring myself to stay in bed, because I wanted to make sure that I got a good start on the bread before it came time to put in the turkey and start on all the other things.  I accidentally made a mistake when I was making it, though.  I was doubling my recipe, and doubled everything but the bananas. I didn't remember until the last pan was in the oven. I tasted the first one cooled, though, and it wasn't bad, so I guess it turned out okay.  I've got to make some more of that, plus some beer bread, soon, but went ahead and froze the remaining bananas because now that Thanksgiving is over I have to do the Christmas decorations tomorrow.  And who KNOWS how long that will take me, since the outside is Ron's job. I'm an inexperienced outdoor-lightsman ever since he took it over... can't remember what goes where and all that jazz!!!

The kids got along pretty well today overall, and there was only one little incident that threatened the day.  We actually had a good meal, with the exception of.. the green bean casserole! UGH!  I made it, and we ate it, but as we were eating it we were a little confused because something just tasted "off" about it. And then it hit me... I haven't made it with canned green beans in FOREVER. So the taste was really different, and I vow that I will be going back to fresh green beans from now on. Yuk!  I also didn't have enough brown sugar to do the sweet potatoes with, but made do and they turned out okay, but nothing to write home about.  And the turkey... ugh!  Let's face it... I am NOT a good turkey carver. I'll leave that in Ron's capable hands. We're only getting a ham for Christmas dinner - it's hard to massacre that!  But no one got burned, or hurt in any way, or food poisoned... or choked... so... I'm thankful that we all made it through this Thanksgiving unscathed! LOL

Sometimes it was hard to imagine ahead of time in the days coming up to the holiday that I'd be flying solo for it. It's been a while since that has happened. And I did not like it one bit. It just doesn't feel like a family without Ron around, no matter how many traditions we try to keep.  It's hard to describe it, but the closest I can come is to compare it to that disjointed feeling that you get when you  have forgotten something, and know that there's something you forgot, but can't remember what it is. You know, the feeling that follows you along all day in the back of your mind, tormenting you, like a word that's right on the tip of your tongue all day long.  And just like that, you wake up in the  middle of the night and blurt the word out, wondering why you couldn't remember it in the first place. That's what I'm waiting for now, for that middle of the night realization to come that tells me that our family is now home together again.  But since it's Thanksgiving day, I need to say that the one thing in the world that I am most thankful for is the time I have had with Ron, whether here or deployed.  Every day since January of 1992 has been my most favorite day, because it's been a day that I can look at him and thank God for sending him to me to take care of me, and for me to take care of.  And I guess I'm a little thankful for hot water and the internet, too, but let's not get too hasty.

I never did get up into the attic and start getting out the Christmas decorations, because we all sat down and watched a movie together after dinner and then I rode that stupid bike 11.72 miles to try and counter all that food that I devoured today. I just know my weight will be up tomorrow, probably a lot, but hey... it's a holiday.  I really enjoyed every bite of it, even if the turkey got cold quick and the rolls were a little bit dry.  Tried a new stuffing this year, with cranberries in it and LOVED it, so right there is about a pound because I couldn't help myself and had two big helpings of it. I will buy it again if I can find it, but in the meantime, ugh... Now I'll have to work harder tomorrow too. Sigh.  I'll take pictures tomorrow of the lights if I get them done in one day.  If not, you may just end up waiting a day or two, but I'll put them on here.

Anyways, I hope everyone had a great meal with good friends and family, and for those of you away from home, that you were safe and enjoyed your extended brothers and sisters in uniform.  God bless you all for doing what you can to make the world a little better for those who are clueless or helpless.

No comments:

Post a Comment