Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 172: February 15, 2010

Quote of the Day: "It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, "Always do what you are afraid to do."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Remember that job I applied for at the hospital on Friday?  Imagine my surprise when I left clinicals today and had a voicemail from the Human Resources department asking for me to call her back! Already! I was prepared to have to wait a month or two like the last time I applied at the hospital, and was floored to have already been called. I was so excited afterward that I pretty much drove home from clinicals on cloud nine! The way I see it, even if I don't get the position I have actually taken the first step toward my new nursing career! I am a little nervous about it, because I am going into it having no nursing experience as an RN other than my clinical rotations, which are good experience but aren't truly a J-O-B, and am not sure what steps to take. My biggest concern is that I just don't know what to expect at an interview. I'm hoping that having good prior work history on my other jobs will help me out. One other problem is that my resume was stored on the hospital's online system, from the last job I applied for there, and it was prior to my working as a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) at Texas Specialty Hospital.  I tried to update it several times with the new job info, but it kept reverting to the prior version and wouldn't take the new employment info. So I'm going to have to take an updated resume with me to any interview I go on, and explain that it would not let me update it. I'm hoping that doesn't end up leaving a bad impression, but we'll see what happens, right?  Wish me lots of luck... I REALLY want this particular job.  I'd even be willing to forego my trip to Reno we've had planned for over a year if it meant the difference between getting the position or being skipped over! And that is BIG, my friends, BIG. Since I've been so looking forward to that trip, and all.

My clinicals today went really well again, too. I didn't even realize that today is a holiday until we were driving to Vernon and saw all the American flags out.  That's not normally a problem, except that at the State Hospital they short-staff on federal holidays. So the patients all stayed on their subs all day and didn't get to go out and about to the day room or classes, which would have made it to where we could have had more interaction with them. It worked out okay, though, because we were able to see a lot of the "behind the scenes" things that go on, like the passing out of medications, the way things are run, and things like that. We did get to interact with quite a few patients, but not enough to say that it was a worthwhile day for mental health observation.  The patient interactions we DID have, though, were pretty good. We got to read a lot of the charts, and that was interesting in and of itself.  It's funny how nearly everyone will give you a different story of why they're there than what is in the chart!!!  Someone could be there for aggravated assault, and be there for "a misunderstanding." It's really interesting how many different ways they have of coping with their issues. And denial, too... though we all have that problem!

Oh, and did I tell you I learned something about myself today? I'm totally clueless sometimes! Well, I knew that, but it hit me in the face today that it isn't always a good thing.  See, it was dinnertime, and all the patients are called according to their badge color to dinner, and I was standing just inside the dining room door, talking to one of the workers. And this one patient, a really tall (taller than Ron tall) guy, came literally running from the other side of the day room when his name was called, chanting "Yums, yums, yums" or something like that. Well, he didn't really STOP running, he just ran right past the worker, grabbing his meal card as he went, and didn't stop until he was about a foot in front of me, and leaned over my head to get some hand sanitizer from a cabinet behind me.  It didn't really even hit me until he was walking over to the food line that had he been intent on doing bodily injury I wouldn't have even realized it. Well, maybe I would have, if it weren't for the fact that I knew everyone was ready to eat, and there hadn't been any signs of agression.  But he was REAL tall, so he probably could have snapped me like a twig. And it would have been my fault.  Guess I can't help it that I'm a trusting person. I'd have to watch my back really, really well if I got a job somewhere like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment