Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 7: September 3rd, 2009

Quote of the day: "Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need to know of hell. ~Emily Dickinson, "Parting" "

Today we had orientation at the hospital, and it was great to see all the gang. We've all been in different classes, so a lot of us haven't seen each other in a while. Laurie and I showed up to the hospital a little early so that we could go over our SIMS lab assignment, which was a semi-good idea, but at the same time it was awfully early. We had to go to Circle K (Sorry, forgot... it's Stripes now) and get some coffee before hand to wake up a little. We had a great time playing catch up with our friends, but the day seemed to drag on and on and on.
And see what going to nursing school does to your parking abilities???


I went to Sam's Club with Laurie after orientation was over to pick up some cat litter for our kitties, and because Laurie saw a jacket I got from there and wanted one of her own. We were walking through the frozen food section and saw something I could not believe. There was this old woman standing at the end of the aisle handing out food samples of some strawberries with whipped cream, and this young mother was standing there with her young son, probably about 6 or 7 years old. This stupid old woman was acting all pissy because the child had evidently attempted to reach into the bowl of strawberries.
*
Meanwhile the mother is standing there almost in tears over the whole thing saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, he has a disorder. I guess I should maybe put a shirt on him that says so, or put a sign on his forehead." Even the little boy kept saying he was sorry, over and over. It was heartbreaking! He didn't know what he'd done wrong, but he knew it was something. Now I know that it's a health issue, but that old woman's attitude completely reinforced my opinion that old people without people skills DO NOT belong in the workforce. Some of them do, yes, but the ones who are nothing more than crotchety, mean, and opinionated with no personal skills should just STAY HOME. Just as the teenagers who have no personal skills.
*
Children with disabilities (which he obviously had) should not be treated as if they can help it. And the mother has enough to deal with in her everyday life while dealing with her child and his problems, she doesn't need some Nazi Granny to try and "put her in her place". I have no problem with ANY person of ANY age who deals with the public in an appropriate manner, but when you are dealing with customers, that particular age group seems to forget that the customers are people first, customers last. You know the ones I'm talking about, too. They're the ones who are likely to stand on the front porch yelling "Get off my property!" if you walk on the sidewalk in front of their home. This particular old biddy went on "break" right after it happened, and I can only hope that it was with a guilty conscience and a big old slice of humble pie. And that's it, I'm off my bandwagon. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment