Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 76: November 11th, 2009

Quote of the Day: "Brave hearts do not back down." -Sophocles

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY

Today was our 2nd-to-last test, and I am EXHAUSTED from studying all day yesterday and then getting up at 4am this morning to study some more.  I made an 84 on it, though, so I think that it was definitely worth it.  It seems that I've finally found the trick to my learning... I learn the best and retain more in the early morning hours.  Not too bad, figuring that out with only one semester left of school. Oh, well... maybe it will come in handy if (when) I decide to go for my bachelor's and master's degrees.  Just food for thought - right now I'm just trying to make it to an associate's degree.

You know, sometimes things happen to make you feel betrayed, and it gets to the point where you just have to get over it.  That's how I am feeling right now, and it sucks.  It's time to give it up and move on, though. Can't let things like that ruin your life, you know? Oh, and my stupid weight went up 1.8 lbs overnight!!!! UGH!!! I don't know whether it's stress, diet, or lack of sleep but I was very disgusted when I weighed myself this morning.  Of course, it was three hours earlier than I normally weigh in, I wonder if that has something to do with it? Hmm. Not sure, but I really do hope that tomorrow it's back to normal. THAT would be great. I don't feel like it will, but I guess you never really know. I'll find out tomorrow, either way.

For school, I've got tomorrow's clinical, then next week a test and review for the final, then SIM lab on Thursday, and then after the Thanksgiving holiday we've got one more class for review, end-of-term evaluations for clinicals, and the final. And that's it! One more semester down! WOOHOO!!!! I've heard next semester is the worst semester out of the program, but we'll see... I have been noticing that I've learned more than I thought as I've been studying, so maybe I'll be okay and it will be a piece of cake.  THAT would be nice. I think one of the biggest obstacles for next semester is what they call the HESI test. It's a test they came up with that is a practice NCLEX test (state board examination) which you have to pass or you cannot graduate. I don't think it's too big a deal, but everyone is all stressed out over it.  I guess last year's graduating class less than a fourth of them passed it on the first try. You get three tries, though. It can't be THAT hard, right? I've never had a problem with passing a test before on the first try, even the required math test which you had to get 100% on in order to stay in the nursing program.  So I guess it boils down to we'll see. I plan on studying over Christmas break to prepare myself and keep the information in my head, just in case. Evidently there are a LOT of people who plan on doing that.

Next semester is going to be fun, in my opinion. We're going to be doing our mother/baby clinical rotations and our mental health rotations.  Sooo.... labor & delivery, and mentally disturbed people! WOOHOO!  Oh, wait... there's not much difference between a woman in labor and a mental health patient, is there? If I remember right, I was mood swing central and multiple personality disorder all rolled together in one during my labor! LOL  In all seriousness, though, it's going to be fun.  I may even find out that it's what I will want to do when I get out of school.  I haven't yet found that one thing that really jumps out at me and says "This is it!" Laurie wants to work on the cardiac wing. I can understand that, and I wouldn't mind it either, since cardiac was one of my favorites.  But I'm waiting until the end of next semester, after I've had ALL the experiences, before making my choice.  That way I can make a more informed, objective choice.  Right? That's the plan!

I'm going to get off here now, I've got clinicals in the morning, so I have to get up super early.  See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment